The C.O.R.E. of Who we Are
What is “The C.O.R.E.?” Simply put: this is what I believe to be some of the non-negotiable make-up of the church and the life of a Christ-Follower. There are far too many churches and people who have allowed a variety of things to rip them from the basics of the faith and today they find themselves confused about their identity and purpose. It’s my prayer and hope that by sharing this series of messages we’ll be clear on who we are and what we’re to be focused on. Through that understanding we will not be swayed by other good things to forsake the best thing in following Jesus Christ.
The Core Values of Living Waters Community Church:
C – Christ: It’s All About Him
O – Outreach: It’s All About Them
R – Relationships: It’s All About Us
E – Equipping: It’s All About Me
Over the next few weeks we’ll be unpacking this in greater detail to discover what it means for our church fellowship and what it means for each individual believer. We start with the central focus of everything for the believer and the church, Jesus Christ.
C – Christ: It’s All About Him
16 The 11 disciples traveled to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had directed them. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped, but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came near and said to them, “ALL AUTHORITY HAS BEEN GIVEN TO ME IN HEAVEN AND ON EARTH. 19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
…All Authority – Why we need to Listen to the Lord
Jesus Christ…The Basics
- · The Eternity of Christ (John 1.1-14)
- · The Humanity of Christ (Hebrews 4.14-16)
- · The Deity of Christ (Philippians 2.5-11)
- · The Narrative of Christ (Various)
Jesus Christ…Who is He To You and Me?
- · Savior
- Sacrificial Death
- The PROPITIATION…Whatever the Heck that is (1 John 2.2)
- Picture yourself in the path of a speeding locomotive with your foot stuck in the rail-road tracks and no chance of escape. You see the train coming, here the horn blowing, feel the vibration as it approaches. You have no hope—there’s no way you can survive this. suddenly someone appears and steps between you and the train. The train doesn’t stop, the full force and fury of the locomotive is absorbed by this stranger. He is destroyed, but through that act of sacrifice you are spared.
- This is what it means to say that Jesus is the “propitiation” for us. He stood in between humanity and God’s full wrath against sin and absorbed all the force and fury of that wrath on Himself. Why do I say that it’s all about Him? Because without Him I would have nothing. No hope…no life…no joy…nothing. For me, and for those who are followers of Christ, Jesus is the Central Core of who we are and what we do.
- · Lord
Jesus Christ…What will it Mean Tomorrow?
If you recognize that the Lord Jesus Christ is the central focus for your life, it will change how you live. Perhaps for some the change will be subtle, but there will be a change regardless, because you begin living with Him in the center of everything about you. Where you go, what you say, and what you feel. In addition, there are things that are found in Christ that can be found no where else:
- · Hope
- · Strength
- · Future
- · Life
- You Need Jesus to be Saved
- You Need Jesus for Daily Living
- You Need Jesus in Your Connections