LIVING LIFE UNCHAINED
The Gospel of Grace
1 Paul, an apostle—not from men or by man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead—2 and all the brothers who are with me: To the churches of Galatia.
3 Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 WHO GAVE HIMSELF for our sins TO RESCUE US from this present evil age, ACCORDING TO THE WILL OF OUR GOD AND FATHER, 5 to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
6 I am amazed that you are so quickly TURNING AWAY FROM HIM WHO CALLED YOU BY THE GRACE OF CHRIST, AND ARE TURNING TO A DIFFERENT GOSPEL—7 not that there is another gospel, but there are some who are troubling you and want to change the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel other than what we have preached to you, a curse be on him! 9 As we have said before, I now say again: if anyone preaches to you a gospel contrary to what you received, a curse be on him!
Introduction: The Conflict Between Grace and Works
Liberty is what LIFE UNCHAINED is all about: it is recognizing the truth of Scripture that states YOU ARE SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH. In other words it is a DONE DEAL IN CHRIST.
Legalism is what LIFE-IN-CHAINS is all about: It gives lip service to the Gospel of Grace, but adds requirements and expectations that are neither Biblical or possible for people to follow.
Liberty (Grace) Legalism (Works)
- Transformation Conformation
- Security (It is Finished) Insecurity (It is NOT Finished)
- Joy, Peace, and Praise Labor, Fear, and Punishment
- Amazing Grace is Theme Song Twist and Shout is Theme Song
- (“That saved a wretch like me”) (“Work it out baby now”)
- LIFE UNCHAINED LIFE IN CHAINS
- · Legalism says: You are saved by faith in Christ IF you…
- · Grace says: You are saved by faith in Christ SO you…
Illustration: Consider The Birth Experience
- o How much work did you have to do to be born?
- o Neither of my kids came out saying “Pop, I’m bushed. This being born was hard work.”
A Thought: If there is any way possible that we could in some way earn our salvation. If we could potentially “work our way into God’s favor,” then Christ died in vain. If there is some way that I could become worthy of eternal life in heaven apart from the sacrifice of Christ then God is a cruel Father who sent His “only begotten Son” to die for nothing.
INTRODUCING THE BOOK OF GALATIANS
THE MAN WITH THE MESSAGE: PAUL
[We’ll take a More detailed look at Paul during LifeGroup this week]
- · His Role: The Authentic Apostle of Grace and Peace (1)
- · His Greeting: A Word of Grace and Peace (2-3a)
- o And all the brothers with me
- o Grace and Peace
- § With grace you can have peace
- § Without grace…forget about it!
- · His Foundation: The Source of Grace and Peace (3b-5)
- o From God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ…
- § WHO GAVE HIMSELF
- § TO RESCUE US
- § ACCORDING TO THE WILL OF GOD
THE MEAT OF THE MESSAGE: THE GOSPEL OF GRACE
- · Desertion of the Gospel of Grace (6)
- o The Gospel is the “Good News” of Amazing Grace
- o Here we find Paul is “Amazed” in a different way.
- o The people are turning away
- § Turning away from the message of Christ
- § Turning away from the ministry of Christ
- § Turning away from Christ Himself
- · Distortion of the Gospel of Grace (7)
- o “change the Gospel” literally is to PERVERT the Good News
- o There were those who were attempting to add requirements for salvation and for living as Christians.
- · Destruction of the Gospel Changers (8-9)
- o Paul doesn’t mince words here:
- § Cursed: ANATHEMA – set apart for destruction by God.
So…Why is this Such a Big Deal? What’s wrong with having some rules? Don’t we all appreciate a little “law and order?”
First – Notice that turning from the Gospel of Grace is turning from the Christ of the Gospel.
Second – Notice that adding anything to the Gospel of Grace is Perversion of the Gospel of Christ.
How many have been kept from the kingdom because they have felt they could not measure up to the expectations and demands of the church, and they never learned about the grace of Christ that leads to LIVING LIFE UNCHAINED?