Sermon Series: THAT YOU MAY BELIEVE–JOURNEY THROUGH JOHN
“Jesus – The Light of the World”
- Context: The Feast of Tabernacles
- · The Last of Seven Annual Feasts
- · One of three that ALL Jews were REQUIRED to attend
- · Seven Day Feast to commemorate the forty years in the wilderness
- · The Entire Nation Camped Out – reminder of the 40 years
- · Huge Menorah were lit – reminders of the pillar of cloud/fire
- o These Menorah were 75 feet tall
- o 10 Gallons of Oil
- o Wicks from the old and unusable priestly garments
- o These Menorah would actually light the streets of the city
- At the end of the feast, the lights were purposely put out.
- o Why? because the Messiah had not yet come.
- o Some propose it is at this point that Jesus makes his declaration.
- o Against the Sudden Darkness from Extinguishing the Menorah
- o In the Understanding of the Representation of God’s VISIBLE presence (the pillar)
Then Jesus spoke to them again: “I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows Me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life.”
NOTE: Jesus makes several “I AM” statements in the account written by John. Remember the purpose of John’s Gospel – That You May Believe that Jesus is Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have Eternal Life. (John 20.31)
- Seven I Am Statements of Jesus
- I AM the bread of life. John 6:35, 6:48…..
- I AM the light of the world. John 8:12, 9:5…..
- I AM the door. John 10:7…..
- I AM the good shepherd. John 10:11-14…..
- I AM the resurrection and the life. John 11:25…..
- I AM the way, the truth and the life. John 14:6…..
- I AM the true vine. John 15:1,5…..
JESUS’ CREDENTIALS AS LIGHT
Light is a symbol that has been used in throughout the Bible in connection with Christ. Here are a few examples:
- · Isaiah 9:2
2 The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of darkness, a light has dawned.
- · Luke 2:32 (HCSB)
32 (Simeon’s prophesy declared Jesus to be…) a light for revelation to the Gentiles and glory to Your people Israel.
- · Matthew 4:16 (HCSB)
16 The people who live in darkness have seen a great light, and for those living in the shadowland of death, light has dawned.
- · John 1:4-5 (HCSB)
4 Life was in Him, and that life was the light of men.
5 That light shines in the darkness, yet the darkness did not overcome it.
- · John 3:19-20 (HCSB)
19 “This, then, is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone who practices wicked things hates the light and avoids it, so that his deeds may not be exposed.
JESUS’ CLAIM TO BE THE LIGHT.
Jesus is not simply saying that he was “a” light to the world or that he was “another” light to the world. Jesus is not saying that He is holding the light or that He has the light or even that He is the way to the light. HE IS DECLARING THAT HE IS THE ONE AND ONLY LIGHT OF THE WORLD.
He’s declaring I am the Shekinah (the “glowing glory”) these enormous and brilliant candelabras symbolize.
The Menorah, Like the Pillar of Cloud and Fire, Symbolized:
- · It symbolized God’s Presence. “I am the one who was with you.”
- · It symbolized God’s Guidance. “I am the one who guided you.”
- · It symbolized God’s Protection. “I am the one who protected you.”
JESUS’ CHARACTERISTICS AS THE LIGHT
There are many characteristics of light that we could examine but I just want to call your attention to two of them.
- · Light Reveals (John 3:19-20)
- · Light can also Blind.
Only two groups of people are unaware of the presence of light. Those who are blind and totally unable to see, or those who close their eyes tightly and refuse to see.
- · Have you trusted in Jesus Christ as the “Light of the World…
- · Have you trusted Him as the “Light of YOUR world?”
- · Are You Reflecting Him as the Light of Your Life?
12 So then, my dear friends, just as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now even more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God who is working in you, [enabling you] both to will and to act for His good purpose.
14 Do everything without grumbling and arguing, 15 so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among whom you shine like stars (light) in the world. 16 Hold firmly the message of life. Then I can boast in the day of Christ that I didn’t run in vain or labor for nothing.